Sunday, September 05, 2004

National and International News



Ist Birthday issue - Editor's letter

A year ago Body&Soul had one thing on its mind. Was there an audience for a brand new section covering stem-cell research and sex advice, mammograms and marathons, Atkins and acupuncture? Everything, in short, that we talk about when we talk about health.

The Times 04/09/04


65pc rise in calls by self-harm children

Children as young as five are deliberately hurting themselves according to the authors of a new report which suggests there has been a massive escalation in the problem over the last decade.

The Observer 05/09/04


At last, an early warning system for baby's blues

The baby gurgles and giggles, pokes out its tongue and grasps a proffered finger. Then, inexplicably, it starts to cry.

The Independent 04/09/04


Cancer patients let down by insurers

Cancer sufferers are having their private health insurance withdrawn for vital follow-up treatment.

The Independent on Sunday 05/09/04


Catherine Bailey: If it feels good, do it

“Although I don’t think of myself as being good looking, I am lucky because the way I look is all to do with my genes — my mother, whose age I won’t divulge, looks fantastic. But as a model there is also pressure to look good. I divide my time between Devon, where my son Sascha is at school, and London. When I am in the country I am just Sascha’s mother, which is much easier as there are no expectations as to how I am supposed to look or dress. I live in my jeans and cowboy boots, and rarely look in the mirror. In London it’s different, I tend to think about how I dress for starters.

The Times 04/09/04


Joan Bakewell: Sunny side always up

“People tell me that I look younger than I am, but I don’t accept that. I think this is what people can look like when they’re 71, if they take a bit of trouble with their looks. Women are staying stylish for longer nowadays. I mean, when was the last time you saw an old woman in granny specs, with carpet slippers and grey hair in a bun?

The Times 04/09/04


Dr Copperfield: Inside the mind of a GP: Preventing illness

We've become so obsessed with preventing illness, we've forgotten quality of life.

The Times 04/09/04


Simon Crompton: Stories behind the headline

When is a consultant not a consultant? When he’s a consultant podiatric surgeon, apparently.

The Times 04/09/04 and Graphic


DIY allergy test kits 'can give false diagnoses'

A growing number of families are using unproven DIY allergy kits to test whether their children's behaviour is being affected by common foods or substances.

The Observer 05/09/04


Angela Gheorghiu: Happy on the inside

Knock a decade off your age with top tips from four celebrities and expert advice on the diet, exercise and beauty regimes to keep you looking great and feeling fabulous.

The Times 04/09/04


Nigel Havers: Never act your age

“I always thought that I looked rather odd. But when I was about 30 I grew into my looks. I had a youthful appearance for a long time, which annoyed me, but my first marriage was to someone eight years older than me and we made a pact that I would always add a few years to my age. When we divorced and I remarried, I took a few off. Once at an audition and they asked how old I was. I said: ‘How old do you want me to be, 42? OK, I’m 42.’ I think that’s the way to do it. My age has always been a mystery; I’ve always been running away from it, one way or another.

The Times 04/09/04


Health food that is saltier than sea

A Sainsbury's “health” food has been identified in a new study as one of the saltiest foods in Britain, with a concentration almost 50% greater than sea water.

The Sunday Times 05/09/04


Mark Henderson: Junk medicine: Seeking the elixir of life

Don’t bet on a cure for ageing — evolution has stacked the odds against it

The Times 04/09/04



How the fit and fabulous live that way: Paddy Haynes, 81

Daredevil Paddy Haynes, 81, says staying young is a state of mind — and dates with dishy pilots.

The Times 04/09/04


Loving it: The seven ages of sex

Relationships are a game of roulette, says Suzi Godson, the ball can go round the wheel at any age.

The Times 04/09/04


Most MPs want ban on public smoking

A ban on smoking in public places, including pubs and shopping centres, is supported by a majority of MPs.

The Independent on Sunday 05/09/04


Julie Myerson and Oscar Humphries: Attitude

Why Julie Myerson loves her wrinkles and Oscar Humphries revels in being reckless.

The Times 04/09/04


Obesity hormone 'cure for infertility'

Injections of a hormone that is normally a factor in obesity can help to kick-start the ailing reproductive systems of overly thin women, new research has shown.

The Observer 05/09/04


On the streets of binge Britain

Every weekend, Britain's town centres are transformed into scenes of drunken mayhem and soaring levels of violence. Jay Rayner visits the front line and asks whether licensing laws are to blame or a drinks industry that has wooed a generation with cheap alcopops and vodkatinis.

The Observer 05/09/04


Patients 'in fear on mental care wards'

A disturbing report into the state of Britain's psychiatric units will be published this week, showing that many patients feel threatened and unsafe in the very places where they are treated.

The Observer 05/09/04
The Independent on Sunday 05/09/04


Patient is held over murder of banker

A psychiatric patient was charged last night with the murder of a banker, who was killed in a frenzied knife attack while cycling through a London park.

The Times 04/09/04


Prisoner suicides rise to record level in overcrowded jails

A record number of inmates killed themselves in English jails last month, triggering concerns about the ill effects of the prison population rising so rapidly.

The Independent 04/09/04


Radical behaviour

Dump the potions and the wrinkle creams: just eat yourself younger. Dark-coloured foods can help the years fall away, says Simon Crompton

The Times 04/09/04
The Times 04/09/04


Sex with Dr Thomas Stuttaford and Suzi Godson

I’m a 16-year-old girl and in a great relationship with my 17-year-old boyfriend. We’ve been together for six months and he wants to have sex with me. I think that I want to have sex with him. But I’m a bit nervous and don’t know what to expect. Am I ready? Am I ready for love?

Times 04/09/04


Survival rate is very healthy

Reports suggest that Bill Clinton had been suffering increasingly severe chest pains and breathlessness for some days before he was admitted to hospital.

The Times 04/09/04


The latest breakthroughs, tips and trends

The dream of immortality has taken a step closer to being realised this week with the announcement of a breakthrough which, in the shorter term, promises new hope for transplant patients.

The Times 04/09/04
The Times 04/09/04 Graphic 1 and Graphic 2


The wonder drug that can transform a story

The press's fascination with health scares and miracle cures is enough to make you feel queasy.

The Independent on Sunday 05/09/04


Waiting list row blights Brighton

Tony Blair's opportunities for showcasing Labour's NHS achievements at the party conference in Brighton this month were blighted yesterday when the local hospitals were implicated in a waiting list fiasco.

The Guardian 04/09/04


Weight Watchers slim for free on the NHS

Doctors will be allowed to refer fat patients to slimming clubs such as Weight Watchers for free courses at the taxpayer’s expense under a new initiative to tackle the obesity epidemic.

The Sunday Times 05/09/04

0 comments: